Saturday, December 8, 2012

Its In Her Eyes

I remember reading The Great Gatsby when I was in high school and not really understanding why the characters did what they did. I guess it was just a world that was too far removed from my life as a kid. I read the novel again when I was older and the actions and thought processes of the characters made so much more sense.

I'm slowly at the point where I'm looking for artwork and photography to decorate my blank walls in my house. I wanted to start off with the wet bar area. I've always loved the original painting for The Great Gatsby cover, "Celestial Eyes" by Francis Cugat. It had a haunting quality to it, the eyes in the painting always looked so sad. I thought the original artwork would be cool to have up, but decided to recreate it with my own interpretation in order to have a more personal touch to it. I want all the art and photography in my house to have a personal touch or connection. Below is my own take of Cugat's painting.

I wanted the eyes to have a more confident look and the female figures in the pupils were updated. I added my beloved San Diego skyline at the bottom too. Save, Print, Frame.

Wet Bar Art...done.
-G

"Celestial Eyes" by Fracis Cugat

1 comment: